Alice Cooper Biography
Godfather of Shock Rock, Alice Cooper was born as Vincent Damon Furnier on February 4th, 1948 in Detroit Michigan, as the son of a pastor. Alice moved to California when he was 12, then later on to Arizona, where he still lives today. Vincent formed a passion for music in high school at the age of 18. Furnier and his track friends got together and performed the Beatles at the school talent show. The band was first known as the Earwigs and then as the Spiders in 1965. They did band covers of The Rolling Stones and The Beatles, the bands that Alice adored. The band renamed itself to Alice Cooper, a twisted name for the band, who did their acts with dolls, guillotines, and skulls (and the creepy costumes.) The band got their first huge break from Frank Zappa, who signed them onto his record label. The original band broke up in 1975, with the lead singer Vincent getting his name legally changed to Alice Cooper, then went to his mom and said “Oh, by the way, I’m changing my name to Alice Cooper. What’s for dinner?” Alice was then a solo artist and then continued with the album, “Welcome To My Nightmare.” Alice met his love of his life and future wife Sheryl Cooper on his incredibly theatrical tour. Alice appeared on television and movie like The Muppets, and Alice Cooper: The Nightmare. In the late 1970s, Alice’s problems with alcohol became life threatening to the point where he threw up blood every morning. Cooper just sat there and watched television and drank beer all day, and didn’t want to perform. He was very thin at the time and entered into a clinic for rehabilitation. He was almost at the point of dying, but sobered up; this time for good! But he got into another addictive thing… golfing. Alice Cooper was saved by God and is a Christian now with three children; Calico Cooper, Sonora Cooper, and Dashiell Cooper. Alice has been sober for 36 years now! And plays golf EVERY morning, his two favorite things to do, golf and rock n roll! Way to go Alice!
- Cooper claims that the infamous “Chicken Incident” at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival concert in September 1969 was an accident. A chicken somehow made its way onto the stage into the feathers of a feather pillow they would open during Cooper’s performance, and not having any experience around farm animals, Cooper presumed that, because the chicken had wings, it would be able to fly. He picked it up and threw it out over the crowd, expecting it to fly away. The chicken instead plummeted into the first few rows occupied by wheelchair users, who reportedly proceeded to tear the bird to pieces.
- Alice Cooper’s “shock rock” reputation apparently developed almost by accident at first. An unrehearsed stage routine involving Cooper, a feather pillow, and a live chicken garnered attention from the press. The band decided to capitalize on the tabloid sensationalism, creating in the process a new subgenre, shock rock.
- The band Alice Cooper wanted parents to hate them.
- Alice Cooper is 69 years and still rockin’ it!
- In 1975, Alice Cooper returned as a solo artist with the release of Welcome to My Nightmare. To avoid legal complications over ownership of the group name, “Alice Cooper” had by then become the singer’s new legal name.
- He is credited with helping to shape the sound and look of heavy metal, and has been described as the artist who “first introduced horror imagery to rock’n’roll, and whose stagecraft and showmanship have permanently transformed the genre”.
- Away from music, Cooper is a film actor, a golfing celebrity, a restaurateur, and, since 2004, a popular radio DJ with his classic rock show Nights with Alice Cooper.
- Billion Dollar Babies
- School’s Out
- Welcome To My Nightmare
- Hey Stoopid
Why I Wrote a Bio about Alice
The reason I wrote this is because Vincent is inspiring, his songs are just great to hear. His character Alice Cooper, a twisted and creepy lunatic, has a dark and light side. I like to hear some of his creepy music and the ballads that he sings. The character Alice tells a story in some way. Oh, and I can’t forget his acting on stage! The guillotines, the swords, the skulls. Every time Alice goes into the guillotines I think he’s never coming back. But he is! It’s amazing. The fact that Alice Cooper (The person) is a Christian is great to hear because I am Christian and I listen to heavy metal and Rock n roll. Some people think it is well… Devil’s music. It just depends on what you are listening too. And the way that Alice got over his drinking is awesome, and he is still living, not most of the 60’s 70’s and 80’s rockers are still alive.